Sunday 10 January 2010

End of week 1

Just finished a session playing $100nl 6-max on party. This is unusual because nearly all my play recently has been full ring. Made $200 in 600 hands, but was pretty unhappy with my play. Missed a lot of value and stacked off way too easy in a couple of spots. Still gave me confidence, because those 6-max games seem a lot softer than I remember. Maybe i've gotten better, or maybe it's just cos it's sunday.

Still, +$1.5k for the week is nothing to be sneezed at (what does that saying even mean?), and I'm calling it a week now until tonight, when i'll play some massive field small stakes tournaments on pokerstars.

Plan for next week is to aim for $2k profit, clear my current bonus on party poker, and get 15k FPPs on stars so I can get myself my new computer :)

A quick hand from the session I played that I think I played quite well:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?5066659

I considered pot controlling on the flop, but decided there was too much value in a bet. And if i get raised, my hand isn't so good that I hate life and can happily fold.

I get one caller, the button. Now, he would definitely reraise AK preflop, and raise any set on the flop (especially 4-way), so I think he has a weaker king, a weak draw or a second pair hand. The 9 on the turn isn't the best card, but a bet gets value from all his draws and weaker kings. When he raises, I know that he knows that the 9 is a good card for him to try to represent. And the only 9s he can realistically have are 98s, T9s, that sort of thing. So i felt it was more likely he was turning a draw/float into a bluff. I considered jamming to protect my hand, but that felt a bit dumb to be bet/shoving KQ. So i call and check to him on a delightful river card to let him continue his bluffs. He shoves, I hope he doesn't show me 9x and call. Ship.

Against villains like this, I certainly need more concentration that most villains at $100nl FR, because in FR they don't bother trying to represent anything, or read your hand. If i'm raised on this turn on stars at FR, it's a snap muck.

No comments: